The cooperative school recognizes that parents are the primary educators of their children. It encourages mothers and fathers to share their interests and talents in the classroom, on a Board of Directors, or on committees. These direct parental efforts and involvement make the cooperative a unique educational opportunity. The children grow in mind, body and spirit as they are nurtured with acceptance and kindness by teachers and other parents.
Although a cooperative preschool will demand a great deal more time, effort and commitment from you as a parent, the benefits are extraordinary.
Many of our families have graduated several children from our school over the years. Not only do children make special friends with one another, they also get to know other parents who work and play alongside them in the classroom. Our member parents often develop close and lasting friendships with other parents with whom they share the responsibilities and joys of running their children's nursery school. Because families are so involved, this is a place where children feel secure, encouraged, and loved.
Benefits for the Parent
- Gaining confidence and enhanced parenting skills
- Sharing of individual ideas and concerns about child rearing
- Broadening their understanding of child development
- Learning effective communication skills and child guidance strategies
- Developing relationships with other families, teachers and children in the community
Benefits for the Child
- A safe, stimulating environment to encourage natural love of learning
- A developmentally appropriate environment that promotes their physical, social, emotional and cognitive development
- Highly individualized attention and support as they learn to communicate and problem-solve with others
- A gentle transition from home to school environment